Friday, June 02, 2006

I L-O-V-E homemade brownies

I love my brownies
my homemade brownies cooling on a rack

Often have I had this question posed to me: "What's your favourite food?"

Many a time, I give a brief pause before answering.

My regular readers would know why. Thing is, I enjoy every food for what it is and have no particular favourites. I am not a picky eater and I get a kick out of a good and tasty meal.

But if I have to give a definite answer, then I suppose it'll be quite predictable. I'm sure you won't be surprised when I say brownies. Well, I love chocolate and I won't deny that it does make me go weak in the knees. Dark chocolate especially. So why don't I just say that chocolate is my favourite food? That's because sometimes, when used in the right way, chocolate creates magic - magic so wonderful that it's unforgettable.

"Unforgettable" - that's the key word. When you say something is unforgettable, it usually is cast in a positive light. It goes the same for my favourite food. I dare say, I love any dish that's unforgettable. And for that matter, I would declare that I love homemade brownies that are so good, that it's hard to forget.

As a baker, I know that the amount of satisfaction gained when others enjoy my fruits of labour is quite worth it. Baker's pride aside, can I just say that I love my brownies? At the risk of sounding pompous, I do know that the majority of those who've tried my brownies have asked for seconds. I really don't know how I came to baking brownies in the first place but I know that it's my signature dish. I have friends who've missed my brownies since tasting it a few years back. I really wish I had a huge oven so I could just bake some for all my friends and distribute it right now!

So, what's so special about my brownies? I cannot say that it's because of a secret recipe because the recipe's not really secret. It's actually a very basic and common recipe. But it's a recipe I've stuck with since I tried it for the first time. It's Hershey's Best Brownies recipe. Why do I insist on using this recipe time and again? That's because it gives me a moist and chocolate rich brownie that's heavenly and divine to eat. I usually cut down on the sugar to give it that dark chocolate flavour. I also seldom include walnuts and such. I like my brownies simple and I find that even I can't stop at one. I like to think that my brownies taste good because I bake them with love. Haha, okay that's pretty cheesy but it's true! You know what they say... give the same recipe to different cooks, and the end result is as different as purple and yellow. Hmmm, okay no one said it - it came from me. :p

Before I end, here's another brownie picture for Vidya! She requested pictures of my brownies. The poor girl really misses our local food. Vidya, I'll bake them brownies for you when you come back to Singapore ya?

My brownies again
put brownies in front of me and everything else transcends into a blur

Me and my brownies, together we will take over the world! - (ahem, in my dreams)...

5 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Very nice brownies! I'd love to bite in one of those now...

Have a nice weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cheryl,

Daiso at IMM Jurong, also sells ramekins - at - you guessed it -$2 each - and they come in all sorts of colours and sizes too!

KitchenAid mixer - drool, drool, drool...

RuiSong said...

i agree with ya!! foods that are made with your heart and love will taste especially good!!

Anonymous said...

Babes I'd kill for a few pieces of your brownies right now..the photos are making me hungry! :P

Anonymous said...

i was wondering, what type of tin do you bake yr brownies in? it seems as if the edges are flawless. i use a lamington pan and the edges are always "curved." haha. i love cream cheese brownies!

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter