Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Cool eats at Alexandra Village

Xin Fei Fei Wanton Mee

Ever since I started on my hunt for good wanton mee, I can't help but feel the need to try out every wanton mee stall I see.

I could be planning to eat rice or Hokkien Mee, but the moment I see a stall which says wanton mee, I feel obligated to have that. Is that good or bad, you tell me? Well I suppose it's due to my curiousity and my need to find the best of the best.

You've read my comments on the Kok Kee Wanton Noodles, so here's my take on another one I've tried, for the first time:

wanton noodles

Xin Fei Fei Wanton Mee. Usually I don't really trust those 'food programme approved' signs. I'm sure you locals know what I mean. There has been an influx on the number of food programmes and sometimes I wonder what's their agenda - to inform the public of really yummy good eats or to simply fill in the tv timeslot.

Ya it sounds harsh but true! Alot of stalls that have been featured on those foodie programmes that hunt for the best of the best; well they usually carry the sign on their signboard. Some are authentically good, some are just so-so. Then why did I try this stall then? Maybe I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. I like taking risks so I took one. I bought the $3 portion of this stall's wanton mee. Did I like it? Hmm, honestly, it didn't wow me but it tasted ordinarily good. The noodles not rubbery, but then again, not as nice as the Kok Kee one. This one came with 3 fried wantons and 3 other wantons in a bowl of soup. The wantons were tasty, not too bad and the char siew pretty all right. Was I bowled over? Not exactly, but I wasn't exactly turned off anyway, so it's good :)

Feeling rather thirsty after that bowl of noodles, I was looking for something refreshing and I decided to go with something fruity. Hmmm I've never ever tried drinking this but have heard loads about it so I decided to just go for it. I bought it from this stall:

Cathay Fruit Juice

Exotic Juice eh? How exotic can they get? As exotic as milky green juice? Juice of an avocado?

Honestly, I've only ever had avocado a few times in my life. I hardly use it in my cooking and I seldom buy them. All I know is that it has a lovely milky green hue that is quite soothing on the eye:

Avocado Milk Shake

Was it exotic enough for me? Well it tasted creamy and JF said it tasted like kaya (coconut egg jam) and I kind of agree. It was a pleasant drink actually and I quite like it. I must try the durian milk shake the next time round. Please do go check out this stall and tell me if you like it!

Alexandra Village is really cool and although I hardly go there (only pop by the place when I'm at Queensway Shopping Centre or at Ikea), I'm beginning to like it. Especially their claypot laksa!

______________________________________

Cathay Exotic Juice
#01-19

Xin Fei Fei Wanton Mee
#01-03
Blk 120, Bukit Merah Lane 1
Alexandra Village (Hawker Centre)

7 comments:

Sammy said...

I love the avocado milkshake to bits! Gotta have at least two cups each time I'm there. thinking about it, you're actually right that it tastes of kaya!

Anonymous said...

you should try the satay from the chinese stall there.. unbeatable..
at least by my standards, enjoy :)

Anonymous said...

AV is superb! You should try the Roasted Duck Rice stall beside Cathay Exotic Juice, there's also fabulous Bak Kuh Teh and Prawn mee on the other rows! And YES, the claypot laksa is another hit!

Anonymous said...

Hi there! I pop in and out sometimes to read your blog, cos I love food too. And u blog abt good food... Anywayz, try this at home. Blend one avocado, some milk, and the most impt ingredient, GULA MELAKA. U need to have gula melaka melted first, before blending the liquid form together with the avocado. Mixture will depend on how sweet your tooth is. Mine is pretty sweet, so it's about 1-fifth of a cup. This is my instant mix to heaven. :)

jialard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jialard said...

hi,
see that you are checking out the wanton mee scene. The chasiew wanton mee stall at one fo the corners of AV market is great. And one of the better wanton mee stalls is found at East Coast Hawker Centre.... check out our blog about it.

http://jialard.blogspot.com/2006/08/oodles-of-noodles.html

fellow foodie

Anonymous said...

hey how you doing? you sure get to eat lots of nice yummy stuff!

anyway if u are around Alexandra Village you might just like to walk further down abit to the ABC market (towards jalan bukit merah) direction. It has pretty nice stuff too. Can try out the claypot rice :P

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter