Sunday, April 23, 2006

The Soursop

Soursop Fruit

I promised to blog about the soursop fruit so let me rave about it in an entire post....

This fruit looks weird. Or rather, i used to think it looked very weird. It kinda had thorns but wasn't as hardy as the durian. It's quite heavy and I was always wary of it because of its name. I mean, who names their fruit soursop? I know apples aren't known as sweetapples or sweetpeaches. haha... besides, the name sounds so soppy! I don't know when I first ate this fruit but I know that I can count on two hands the number of times I've consumed this exotic fruit.

I decided to check up wikipedia on the soursop's background and I found out that it's a distant relative of the pawpaw (a.k.a. papaya) It contains lots of vit C, B1 and B2 and apparently the fruit, seeds & leaves are used in herbal medicines. I originally thought it was an Asian fruit but it seems that it is native to the Carribbean, Central & South America... Here's what it looks like on the inside:

soursop flesh

Now, I don't suppose people make cakes with these? I've yet to try a soursop cake! haha.. But I must say, I've taken a liking to the tender and sweet custard-y texture and taste of the flesh. It's refreshing and really goes well with lime juice! Ya, I drank a cup of lime juice that had soursop at Old Airport Road the other day.

I'm looking to see what I can make with this fruit. I welcome suggestions from you my dear readers! :)

5 comments:

Cavalock said...

I have never heard of a soursop cake before. My fondest memories are of drinking it after a workout at the Botanic Gardens at the old hawker place across the road from there.

Unknown said...

How about soursop ice cream/sorbet?

Anonymous said...

Angmoh durian.. I think that's its common name in Chinese.

I'd tried a soursop flavoured ice-cream before, well if it can be make into ice-cream it could probably be make into cake as well.

Anonymous said...

soursop,we call it durian belanda in malaysia.but i dunno y it call as durian belanda

Anonymous said...

I am from belize, where soursop grows almost every where there. I remember, when i was younger my mom used to prepare soursop with condenced milk. we also used to have soursop ice cream, which is my favorite flavor!!

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter