Saturday, June 30, 2007

Oodles of Noodles


Sometimes, when given a choice between rice and noodles, I tend to get a tad fickle and take a pretty long time to decide.

But then there are days that I'm just craving for these long luscious slurps of smoothness. I'm a big pasta fan but when I'm not eating Italian, I like to have my noodles with bite. I used to really like noodles alot in the past but now, I'm pretty impartial about it.

Occasionally, if I hear that a certain noodle dish is good, I'd try it and then enjoy it.

Right now, there are two noodle places that I want to rave about. One's a spicy one, and one's covered in thick brown gravy.

Okay, first off, let me say that my tolerance for spicy food is pretty high so when Dot and I decided to lunch at Beppu Ramen last week, I was excited. I've heard so much about this ramen place - that you can choose your prefered level of spiciness. I nearly ordered 3. But Dot has eaten here and told me that number 2 is already pretty spicy. I had to trust her, and I'm so glad I did!

My ramen came, and lo and behold, it WAS spicy. Hmmm wasn't mind-blowing spicy, but since it was a really hot day, it was pretty much enough for me. I had the Oniyama Jigok (the one with the fried chicken). I like the texture of the ramen and the soup - I think it was made with miso. Whatever it is, I liked it, even though I was already sniffing halfway through. It makes me wonder how the number 8 would taste like!

Anyway, if you cannot take even the slightest hint of spice, then maybe this would interest you: Lor Mee



I seldom eat Lor Mee because I usually like my noodles light and easy on the tummy but man, when I'm at Golden Mile Food Centre (a.k.a. Beach Road Army Market), I have to get this.

I'm going to say this only once: this is by far the best Lor Mee I've ever eaten! It comes with fried lotus root pieces and fried wanton. There's just so much good stuff in this bowl! Love the generous portion and the meat is so tender. The sauce is just nice - not too thick. I like my Lor Mee with lots of vinegar! haha.. Gosh, this is one superb noodle that rocks my socks. :) Go try it!

__________________________________________________

Tong Ji Mian Shi
#01-100
Golden Mile Food Centre
505 Beach Road
Open: 6:30am to 9pm
___________________________________________________

Beppu Menkan Japanese Noodle Restaurant
#01-01 Far East Square,
Tel: 6438-0328
Open: Weekdays 11.30am to 3pm and 6 to 10pm,
Saturdays noon to 10.30pm and Sundays noon to 9pm),

No comments:

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter