Monday, February 27, 2006

Banana Buttermilk Muffins

Banana Buttermilk Muffins

What happens when you have an ingredient in your fridge that has been sitting there and you're simply dying to use it, lest it turns bad?

You'll do what I do - google the ingredient and see what recipe comes up that might look feasible enough.

I did just that and look what I came up with: Banana Buttermilk Muffins.

Interesting name? Yes, that's because it uses quite a bit of buttermilk (yes the ingredient I wanted to finish up!) and goes well with bananas.

I wanted something healthy and since I had some bananas at home; I thought, why not?

However, I did make some changes to the recipe. I didn't have wholewheat flour, so I used 1/2 cup wholemeal flour and 1/4 wheat germ, just to up the nutritional value of these muffins! And I used raw sugar instead of normal refined sugar. I didn't have walnuts so I omitted them.

The outcome was pretty okay - a little sticky though. I think it's because of the bananas and the fact that I used wholemeal flour, which didn't quite absorb the liquid properly. Anyhow, it tasted quite good and I had some with yoghurt this morning for breakfast! :)

__________________________________________

Banana Buttermilk Muffins

This recipe is from Williams-Sonoma Essentials of Healthful Cooking. They bake up light and full of flavor. The riper the bananas the sweeter the muffins.

1 cup all purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup sugar
2 tsps baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
2 tbsps canola oil
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Spray 12 regular muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together the flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
In seperate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, mashed banana, oil, egg and vanilla.
Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until blended.
Spoon batter into muffin cups, filling about three-fourths full.
Sprinkle tops evenly with nuts.
Bake until lightly brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 15 to 20 minutes.
Allow to cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes, then turn out onto rack and cool completely.
These muffins freeze well and can be warmed in microwave.

5 comments:

Mandy said...

Banana Walnut Muffin/bread is tasty! I love it very much, but the price of banana here is much higher than Singapore's :(
You can use the butermilk in mash potatoes too! That's how i use them sometime, provided you still have unfinished buttermilk...

Anonymous said...

Ohh! Your muffins sure do look (and i'm sure they taste...) terrific! I love bananas! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Gustad said...

i love buttermilk. those look soo good.

Anonymous said...

Baker,

I'm so glad to see this recipe (not just because I love to bake with bananas).

I am a huge fan of buttermilk! I think it's one of the unsung baking ingredients out there. It just seems to give baked goods that little lift.

Fantastic!

the baker said...

novice baker: yea, I'm just glad tropical fruits are so cheap here! banana goes well with walnuts and Ooooo chocolate! i should make one with chocolate eh? buttermilk in mashpotatoes? ya I think I've seen recipes, but it tastes really good with the milk? i'll have to try it then!

shenzi: no probs! try it out why don't you? :)

Gustad: yea, buttermilk's amazing! but it's quite expensive here so I don't buy it too often. I know you can make your own (by adding vinegar to normal milk?), but I think it'll be diff?

Ivonne: ahh, then do you have any banana recipe to share? I'm curious to see what else can bananas work well in (most of the time it's bread and muffins!). Yep, i'm really starting to love buttermilk and the things it does to my baked stuff. the difference is rather obvious! :)

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter