Friday, January 06, 2006

Chocolate Yoghurt Loaf

Chocolate Yoghurt Loaf

Chocolate makes me go weak in the knees. I always have a hard time trying to resist them lest I come down with a sore throat. What's not to love about chocolate? I don't know because I can't ever imagine living without chocolate.

Is there such thing as a healthy chocolate cake then? I would say yes. That's because I chanced upon one such recipe by Debbie, of Words to Eat By. She was also a chocolate lover and wanted something less sinful and viola, she put together an ingenious creation, the Chocolate Yoghurt Loaf. I had to give it a try myself and I was rather pleased with the result. Sure, it might not be as chocolatey as my favourite brownie but hey, this is supposed to be lighter and less indulgent eh? I would use this recipe whenever I'm feeling oh-so-stuffed with too much sweet delights.

_______________________________________

Chocolate Yogurt Loaf

Serves 12

Cooking spray
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/4 cup dutch-process cocoa
5 T. unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
1 t. vanilla
1 large egg
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan and dust it with cocoa or flour.

Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder and set aside.

Mix the sugar into the butter. Add the vanilla and egg. Mix until uniform. Add about 1/3 of the flour mixture, and mix. Then add about 1/3 of the yogurt, and mix. Do this again, then again. This batter will be stiff, but it should still mix easily. Don’t overmix.

Spread batter evenly into prepared loaf pan, and bake on the center rack of the oven for 35-40 minutes [mine was done in 37]. Test with a cake tester or wooden skewer—loaf is done when tester comes out clean.

Cool in pan on a rack for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and cool thoroughly. When fully cool, wrap the cake well to keep it from drying out.

Recipe courtesy of Debbie from Words to Eat By.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter